Monday 6 December 2010

Touting an onion tart

Shot out of bed on Sunday like fizz from a Mentos-stuffed bottle of Diet Coke. Itching to go, I baked Nigel Slater's onion tart.



You can find the recipe on page 279 of his fantastic "Appetite" cookbook. A similar version is available at this link.
I've been baking since I was a sprout, but this was the first time I've used puff pastry. Largely because I've tended to avoid butter. 
But I've warmed somewhat to butter and other rich, natural foods. From what I hear lately, it appears thatprocessed goo (e.g. transfat) is the real culprit when it comes to health problems.

Of course, everything in moderation, as Mom is fond of saying.

Anyhow, here are my observations on Nigel's recipe: 
  • Couldn't find pre-rolled pastry sheets, so resorted to a hunk of Tenderflake and a rolling pin. It was actually quite fun to roll out the pastry. And as the onions take 30 minutes on the stovetop, there was more than enough time for it.
    If you're keen on saving some fuss, though, pre-rolled would be worth hunting down.
  • If you do set to rolling, be sure to work your pastry thin enough. Nigel says to aim "no thicker than a coin". Unfortunately, I stopped at 25-cent-piece-thin, so my pastry ended up a tad on the beefy side, with insufficient area to hold all of the onions.
    Next time I'll push the pastry to dime-thin. And I'll use either two cookie pans or one extra-large pan (which is on my wishlist).
  • Emerging from the oven, my pastry had stuck to the pan a little, even though I had floured the non-stick surface well. Next time I'll modify Nige's directions and try oiling the pan first, before lightly flouring it.
  • Camembert worked nicely. But I'd prefer a slightly stronger cheese. I'd be inclined to give Cambozola a try.
  • We stored leftover slices in an airtight container, separated by paper towels. That kept the pastry from getting soggy.
    And wouldn't you know, this tart tastes quite fine the next day.
  • Finally, be aware that this recipe is onion-heavy. If you're anticipating facetime in mixed company (i.e. with the onion-averse), then it may be best to avoid this tart as your pre-gathering meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment