Thursday 2 December 2010

Muffin love, muffin improv

This all started with a muffin, a chocolate-chip-and-banana gem. My friend gave it to me during one of last year's ultimate-frisbee tournaments. That muffin was awesome.

So awesome that it took everything I could harness to continue on with playing. Baked goods danced round and round in my brain. When I asked my friend about the muffin, he said he had baked it himself, inspired by a recipe from Capers Community Market in Vancouver.

muffin batter in muffin tin
A few months later I had the good fortune to visit the Market in person. Now, it's one of my favorite grocery stores.

Whenever west-coast Canada pops to my attention, the Capers Community Market is the first thing to cross my mind. Can hardly wait for a chance to visit again.

Anyhow, I finally took a crack at the recipe myself — just this morning, when I happened to wake early. Because I was without bananas, though, I used partridgeberries. No biggie.

Fact is, I've lost track of all the modifications that lead to the version of the receipe below. My friend made some changes, and I expect I made more than one, so I can't really say how close this recipe is to the original.

No matter. Today's muffins turned out quite fine.

Capers-esque muffins

Dry stuff
  • 3 cups spelt flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
Wet stuff
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup soy milk (or almond milk)
Big-finish stuff
  • 2-3 bananas (ripe, smashed) or approx 1 cup berries
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
How
  1. Mix dry ingredients together.
  2. Mix wet ingredients together. 
  3. Push dry into wet. Fold in fruit and chocolate chips. 
  4. Spoon batter into muffin tin (muffin cup liners are helpful). 
  5. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes.
  6. Pop out of pan.
  7. Let cool, then refrigerate in air-tight container.
muffins, fresh from the oven
Total prep time is 45 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Note that while spelt is not gluten-free, it is more dissolvable than wheat flour, so it's a little easier to digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment