Wednesday 9 March 2011

My chocolate morning

I find myself thinking back with fondness about one particularly sweet morning, several weeks ago now. It started with a surprise breakfast that my partner served.

We'd happened to run out of boxed cereal, so Fred chose to toast a pair of leftover waffles — double-chocolate waffles, no less, topped with yogurt and fresh berries.

chocolatey waffles, with yogurt and fresh berries

The topper here was the process of toasting. The reheating not only added a bit of crispness to the outside of the waffle, but it melted the chocolate chips ... into a state of dreaminess.

Must say that I felt rather decadent, starting off the day that way. But that was merely the start.
Arriving at work, I was met with another lovely surprise. A thoughtful colleague had left a chocolate chocolate-dipped cookie on my desk. She had picked it up for me that same morning at a local bakery. Of course, I had to sample it right away.

Mmm, a quadruple-chocolate morning. Turned out to be a good omen for a pretty great day.

Double-chocolate Waffles

Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup multigrain flour
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp cocoa
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark-chocolate chips
Makes approximately 5 waffles.

Directions
  1. Heat waffle iron.
  2. Beat egg until fluffy.
  3. Beat in remaining ingredients (just until smooth).
  4. Pour batter onto waffle iron.
  5. Cook approx 5 minutes, then remove.
Chocoholics, dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment