Tuesday 29 March 2011

Dining out ... at the supermarket

Imagine a dining establishment with:
  • no need for reservations
  • zero tipping for service
  • vast choice
  • excellent food.
ready to chow down
Wouldn't you frequent a place like that? 
Me, too. That's why I'll sometimes grab a meal at the supermarket, often when I'm on the hop between events.

I especially enjoy dining in supermarkets when I travel. It's fun and, for me, there's a sense of mystery about it. Plus, the selection is more exotic than I can find near home.

This past weekend Fred and I dropped by our "local" and split:
  • some sushi
  • a turkey wrap (wholegrain)
  • a blackberry yogurt
  • an orange
  • a banana.
Not only was the food fresh and tasty, but the entire experience was enjoyable, convenient and good value.

These days, the sit-down area of many grocery stores is downright fine, often outfitted with a microwave oven and sometimes even Wi-fi. Treat yourself: check it out.

Other pluses of supermarket dining include:
  • elegant options (deli counter, imported foods, organic section)
  • ample supplies of serviettes, plastic cutlery, wooden chopsticks, condiments, etc.
  • washroom facilities
  • no markup for "restaurant" food
  • bonus points earned on your purchases.
Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment