Monday 29 November 2010

Salmon toasts

When you think of winter luxury foods, smoked salmon might not immediately come to mind. You may wish to think twice.

Salmon is one of my favorites. I love the rich flavor — on Atlantic salmon, in particular. The peachy-pink color also tickles the senses.



Because I don't often choose smoked fish, I consider smoked salmon as being somewhat indulgent, suitable as a winter treat. In other words, perfect for yesterday afternoon's snack.
Now, salmon and cream cheese is a popular combination. But I was inspired instead by Faye Levy's recipe to pair my salmon with avocado.

And bonus! Avocados are on sale this time of year. I snagged mine for $1 apiece.

Here's how I prepared my Salmon Toasts:

Ingredients
  • avocado
  • lemon juice (fresh is better, by far)
  • rye bread
  • smoked salmon (or trout)
  • tomato
  • onion
  • capers
  • black pepper
What to do
  1. smash avocado in small bowl; add lemon juice to taste
  2. toast bread; cut into 2x2" squares; spread with avocado mixture
  3. add a square of salmon
  4. top with tomato (fines slices), onion (dainty curves), capers (rinsed) and freshly ground pepper.
Making these prompted me to recall when we lived in Fiji. A friend had a backyard tree, from which we picked fresh avocados. Mmm.

Oh well, at least I found avocado on yesterday's grocery trip. They can't always be had around here. Why, even the rye or pumpernickle bread I prefer comes frozen, shipped here from 2000 miles away.

But hey, salmon is readily available. At least there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment