Thursday 3 February 2011

Walking and chawing ... simultaneously

Went walking in the woods last weekend.

view from Cape Spear

Here's what I took along to eat:
  • peanuts
  • dates
  • energy bar
  • dried apple
  • chocolate pemmican.
Now, when I say "woods", I'm exaggerating somewhat. I wasn't exactly trotting through the deep, dark forest, but along a portion of the East Coast Trail, from Cape Spear in the direction of Maddox Cove. There are areas of tree cover, but many more places where you're looking out over barrens on one side and, on the other, the wide open Atlantic.

Certainly makes for dramatic vistas, as trail walking goes.

FYI, Cape Spear is the most easterly point in all of North America (i.e. Canada + U.S. + Mexico). Yup, Cape Spear is in a real sense the edge of the world, and it's only 8 miles or so from my house.



Back to the food: The dates were dried, the peanuts dry-roasted; both commercial products. I just jammed a handful of each into a couple of snack-sized ziplock bags. The energy bar was also commercially packaged.

The dried apple and "pemmican", however, were homemade, nipped from Fred's backpacking stores. Chocolate pemmican is Fred's invention — prepared similarly to regular pemmican, but substituting dark chocolate in place of the beef. I must say, as a trail treat, it's hard to beat.

Tomorrow I'll write about what we took on the trail to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment